Can I restrict visitation and access with my child?

A party may request that the court limit a conservator’s possession of or access to a child. However, the party must show that the restriction is in the best interest of the child and the restriction must be limited to what is necessary to protect the child’s best interest. It is very rare for the court to restrict all access.

The court may consider issues such as drug or alcohol abuse, family violence, sexual abuse, risk of international child abduction, false report of child abuse, a parent’s mental health issues, or parental alienation.