I want to terminate the parental rights of my child’s parent. What does that entail?

To legally terminate the parental rights of a child’s parent, a suit for termination must be filed. The petitioner must establish that the parent’s rights should be terminated as a result of conduct that meets the statutory criteria for termination of the parent-child relationship.

Please keep in mind that termination of the parent-child relationship is permanent and generally results in the end of the terminated parent’s obligation to pay child support.